We are already almost a quarter of the way through 2015 and a lot of people have already abandoned their New Year’s resolution. Most of these lost resolutions revolve around eating better, working out, or some other healthy/happy lifestyle change. Even if you didn’t make a resolution or have already abandoned it, there are still a number of reasons you should make a positive change in your life to live healthier and happier. Making these changes does not take a drastic alteration to your lifestyle. In fact, if you follow these 5 simple steps you will be on your way to a happier and healthier life!
Step 1: Drink More Water
Most people don’t know this, but by the time you realize you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Drinking water more regularly is a simple and highly effective way to improve your life. Some of the benefits of drinking water include :
- Lose weight: Drinking water instead of other less healthy alternatives like soda can help lead to weight loss. Additionally, drinking water while eating can help slow down your consumption and reduce your unnecessary intake.
- Helps fight disease or viruses: Staying hydrated will help to wash your system of unhealthy waste in your body. Drinking more water is also believed to help prevent various forms of cancer.
- Other health benefits: Drinking more water can help fight headaches, improve complexion and will genuinely improve your bodily functions.
Step 2: Don’t Forget to Smile
Happiness is often associated with the smile, and with good reason! Smiling is an easy and highly effective way to not just improve your life but also others. There have been several studies conducted on the health benefits of smiling, and one of the most interesting studies suggests that if you smile when you are not happy it has the power to actually make you happier. The act of smiling causes a physiological change in your body and releases chemicals that can actually improve your feelings. Smile at yourself in the mirror, smile at strangers or other people when you pass them on the street and never forget to smile even when you want to cry. Smiling will make you happier and healthier!
Step 3: Get Into a Consistent Sleep Cycle
Your body is like clockwork and nothing supports that statement more than your sleep cycle. Sleep is directly linked to health and if you are not getting enough of it, your body will certainly suffer. The danger of sleep deprivation is severe and if you are unable to train your body to fall into a healthy sleep cycle then you may want to consult a doctor. Fortunately, many people are able to train their body to fall into a consistent cycle. Here are some general tips for doing just that.
- Don’t over stimulate too late at night: Your body is very sensitive and when preparing to fall asleep you need to practice a few healthy sleep habits. Do not watch television or surf the internet while you are in bed trying to go to sleep. The bright lights and stimulation will wake you up and make it much more difficult for your mind to rest when you are ready for bed.
- Consistency. Consistency. Consistency: The most important part of training is keeping the same routine. This includes everything leading up to going to bed and the time at which you start. If you find that you cannot drink coffee after 5pm and fall asleep, then make sure you stay with that. If you discover that it takes you about 20 minutes to fall asleep at night, then schedule your nightly routine with that in mind. Whatever the case, find a routine and stick to it.
- Don’t Force it: Falling asleep can take a lot of effort for some people. If you are struggling to fall asleep then get up and restart your routine. Sometimes it may help to relax the mind by reading a book or listening to some soothing music.
Step 4: Write in a Journal
Another incredibly simple but effective health tool is to write in a journal. This does not have to be a daily journal and there is no real parameters for what you should or shouldn’t write about. The simple fact is that writing is known to bring many health and happiness benefits. Writing improves your ability to learn, it speeds up the healing process, it can be a key factor in self reflection/personal growth and offers other psychological benefits associated with happiness and health.
Step 5: Exercise Daily
Ahh.. You knew this would be on the list, right? Exercising is an obvious tip but not one that should ever be neglected, after all, we all know how easy it is to neglect exercising ;) Exercising daily is not easy, but the benefits to doing it is much more than just weight loss. Some additional benefits to exercising are:
- Improves your memory: Exercising gives your brain more energy and oxygen and can improve your memory and ability to learn.
- Improves self-image: Exercising is known to improve your overall self-image and confidence. You’ll feel better and also more accomplished.
- Will help you sleep: Back to Step 3! Exercising in the morning or early afternoon can improve your ability to fall asleep.
- You’ll live longer: All things equal, a person who exercises regularly is going to outlive their counterpart. Exercising makes you healthier, happier and helps you increase your life expectancy.
There is no denying that life is a short journey. Even though it isn’t as long as many would like, it can be an incredible and fulfilling ride. Don’t waste your time. Take the simple steps to live a happier and healthier life!
What are some tips you have to living happier or healthier? Let us know below!